Baking soda is a versatile product that you should always have in stock in your pantry or kitchen cabinet. It’s because its purpose goes beyond baking and cooking. Did you know that, like white vinegar, baking soda is also a multipurpose cleaner with various practical applications?
In this blog, we asked our professional home cleaners in Wauwatosa about their favorite uses of baking soda for cleaning hacks. Check out their answers below!
Deep cleaning the shower head
Baking soda’s here to the rescue if you’re struggling with low water pressure because of your clogged shower head. Follow these steps to deep clean your showerhead naturally.
- Get a plastic bag and fill it with vinegar and baking soda. Attach it with a rubber band to the neck of your shower head.
- Leave it for at least an hour or overnight. This combo will loosen up hard water deposits, or gunk stuck in the nozzles.
- After soaking, turn on the hot water in your shower. Check if there’s anywhere water isn’t flowing correctly.
- Next, scrub with a cleaning brush or an old toothbrush and poke clogged nozzle holes with a toothpick. Rinse and wipe dry.
Eliminate hard water stains with baking soda
Hard water stains and limescale deposits are easier to deal with if you clean them right away before they solidify and are almost permanent. Here’s how baking soda can do the trick.
- Make your own baking soda cleaning paste with drops of vinegar and water.
- Apply it generously on the affected area, including glass shower enclosures, bathroom fixtures, kitchen sink, toilet, or bathtub. Let it cure for at least 30 minutes.
- Then scrub it gently using a damp, soft sponge or microfiber cloth.
- Rinse and buff dry with a clean cotton rag.
Deodorize your garbage disposal and kitchen and bathroom drains
It’s inevitable to have funky odors from drains and garbage disposal, given what they go through daily. Baking soda is one of the best odor-neutralizers out there. Run hot water into the drain or garbage disposal for a few minutes weekly. Then pour a generous amount of baking soda powder and let it do its magic. Come back after an hour and turn on the tap again to flush everything away. You’ll notice the unpleasant smell has gone instantly as well.
Use baking soda as a no-fuss fabric softener and laundry booster
Try adding half a cup of baking soda to each load of laundry. It makes fabrics softer and brighter and smells fresher than ever. It’s highly recommended, especially for towels and dish cloths, because it doesn’t strip away or damage their absorbency like most fabric conditioners.
Remove sweat and musty smells from carpet, mattress, and upholstered furniture
Baking soda is a must-have if you want to keep your home smelling fresh all the time. If your carpet has become a victim of your pet’s messes or you’ve been lying around in the scorching heat of summer while sweating it out on the couch or your bed, you don’t have to throw them out just yet. Get a few boxes of baking soda for this cleaning project to cover everything.
Here’s how it’s done.
- Vacuum dust, dirt, or fur from your carpet, mattress, or couch.
- Sprinkle baking soda all over the surface you’re trying to clean. Make sure everything is covered in a thin layer of this white powder.
- Let it sit and absorb all the nasty smell and sweat for at least 45 minutes.
- Take out your vacuum cleaner and let it suck out the baking soda. And voila, no more sticky feeling and smelling gross!
Experience the Best Home Cleaning in Wauwatosa
Are you struggling to stay on top of your regular house cleaning tasks? BetterCleans is here to help you!
We’re a professional home cleaning company in Milwaukee with a top-notch cleaning team ready for dispatch. We take care of everything, including:
- Routine residential cleaning — Save more when you book frequent regular cleanings with us!
- Move-in/move-out cleaning
- Post-construction cleaning
Call us at (414) 215-9698 or use our hassle-free online booking system to schedule a clean, and we’ll send our best house cleaners to your door—no need to worry about anything because they’ll come ready with all the cleaning supplies and equipment.