Moving into a new apartment with a chain smoker for a previous tenant, had an ungracious guest over, or living with someone with bad behavior of smoking indoors, and now you’re scouring the Internet for tips on how to get rid of cigarette smell at home?
Also known as third-hand smoke, it’s a health hazard that can compromise your lungs and trigger asthma and allergic reactions. Plus, it’s pretty exhausting to get rid of, too. No wonder it’s a deal-breaker for many.
So, when customers ask us how to eliminate cigarette smoke from their homes effectively, we only have one answer: deep cleaning! Masking the smell with air fresheners, scented candles, and oils is temporary; it’s not a long-term solution. You got to permanently remove the tar and nicotine out of every nook and cranny of your home.
If you’re dealing with the same dilemma, check out these practical cleaning tips from the best home cleaners in Milwaukee.
Put all washable items in the laundry
Take everything out — from clothes, bed sheets, pillowcases, blankets, duvets, comforters, curtains, couch covers, and throw pillows — and throw them in your washer. Use a top-quality laundry detergent, and don’t forget to put a fabric conditioner and half a cup of vinegar in your final rinse. Vinegar and baking soda are impressive natural cleaners and odor neutralizers. They’re definitely going to get the funk out of your laundry. And, of course, if you have outdoor space and the weather permits, it’s better to hang your laundry out to dry under the sun instead of using the dryer.
Sprinkle baking soda on carpet, couch, mattress
Now, here’s an old trick that can work its magic against the unpleasant smell of cigarettes. All you need is a few boxes of baking soda to neutralize the funky odors and eliminate the mustiness or sweatiness of couches, carpets, or mattresses.
- Vacuum with the proper attachment for each surface to remove dirt, dust, and pet dander.
- Cover it with a thin layer of baking soda. Leave for at least 20 minutes to get absorbed.
- Vacuum it out and notice the gross odors are gone.
Deep clean your walls, floors, and ceilings
The pungent smell of tar and nicotine from cigarettes doesn’t only cling to clothes and fabric-based furniture; they also stick to walls and ceilings. What’s worse is that they can also cause yellow staining, which makes rooms old and dingy.
Here’s where deep cleaning can make a difference in how to get rid of cigarette smell at home.
- Mix one cup of white vinegar, half a cup of baking soda, and two cups of warm water in a bucket of liquid detergent or liquid dish soap
- Apply the mixture to the surface using a microfiber cloth or a soft sponge and gently scrub visible stains.
- Wipe dry with a clean cotton rag to prevent dry walls from getting soaked or stained.
- Vacuum before using this vinegar-based cleaning solution to mop the floors, including stairs and inside walk-in closets.
- Use a mop to clean the ceilings or a clean roller brush for painting. Dip it in the cleaning solution, wring excess water, and work the surface. Don’t forget to rinse by doing another round of upwards mopping, this time with vinegar and water only.
- Open the windows while deep cleaning to promote air circulation and get the nasty smell out.
- Work in sections or by room so the task doesn’t feel overwhelming.
If the room has been heavily smoked in for a long time, the cigarette smell can be deeper seated into the walls and may require you to repeat the process a few more times.
Book a professional deep cleaning service
Getting rid of cigarette smell can be frustrating and seem hopeless because it really takes time and insane amounts of cleaning on repeat. And sometimes, it’s just not doable or practical when you’re busy or occupied with other stuff in your life, too.
If you’re concerned that your new apartment is reeking of cigarette smoke or other nasty odors, we highly recommend you book our deep cleaning service or a move-in cleaning service before settling down with your stuff.
Instead of stressing about how to get rid of cigarette smell at home, experience our hassle-free booking and top-notch home cleaning service. Give us a call, and we’ll send you the best cleaning team for the job.
Book a home cleaning in Wauwatosa, Brookfield, Franklin, or other surrounding cities today!